Jul 17, 2012

An Interview with 10Asia Magazine

“If you take the bad comment as a good one then you’ll feel happiness.”

Although it has been said many times, but according to Kim Gura, he’s “Holy Grail with poisons”. MBC 《Radio Star》’s fourth MC, is a place that all comedians wanted, but at the same times only people with extraordinary spirit can qualified for that place. So, I was very surprise. Last year October, he made an appearance on the studio by singing Sung Sikyung ‘I’m touched’, Super Junior’s magnae, Kyuhyun, a ballad idol, the original ore of variety is in this place. But he was hesitated in the beginning cos he couldn’t ask the guest intense questions. Get assaulted from the teasing of Kim Gura’s “Be more strong!” and Yoon Jongshin’s “듣보” (means can’t hear and can’t see), the magnae survived 9 months in《Radio Star》and now became the middle. (I) saw the appearance of this handsome man, the soulful vocal, bright smile and vicious straight talking, the combination of these entire on one idol, the ‘poisonous’ idol, Kyuhyun.

No one has expected you to join《Radio Star》. How did you decide to join in the first place?
Actually the company has never thought of letting me to do variety show, although I did MC with the other members on MBC Every1’s《Super Junior’s Foresight》, but there are other members who are better than me on variety show. But when I was on KBS 《Immortal Song 2》last year, I was talking with Gura-hyung, and then I came to know that hyung think that I could be good since 2009 on SBS《Intimate Note》. I feel miraculous that he even said that, “Ever since then….I will think of you when this things happen.
 Isn’t it a very hard to get Kim Gura’s attention. (laugh)
That’s why! Actually that time I didn’t think too much when I was on the show, hyung is a person with great memory, thus he recommended me to 《Radio Star》. But the producer of 《Radio Star》never saw my appearance on variety show, they even ask, “Who is Kyuhyun?” (laugh) That time 《Radio Star》was facing crisis, they still have to find replacement for Heechul-hyung, furthermore, Jongshin-hyung also recommended me. So they thought let’s give it a try, then they contact the company. The staffs also feel surprise, “Why suddenly let Kyuhyun to be on variety show?”, but I told them I would like to try.

“Couldn’t sleep on the night before recording of 《Radio Star》”

But《Radio Star》is very hard for a variety beginner, wouldn’t you afraid?
That’s why Eunhyuk who has been doing variety said, “You are too sudden.” (laugh) Even though I knew that, but the reason why I want to try is because I debuted 6 years, although all of the fans know me, some of the people know that I’m the vocal of Super Junior, I participated in Musical, but the public don’t know who I am, I’m in the awkward state. Moreover, there isn’t many chance for me to sing, and now the trend is to become idol-in-one-package (means idol that can do anything), that’s why I wanted to challenge. Compared to do nothing, keep on thinking “I can’t do this”, (I feel that) even I might get scold I still wanna try.
After confirm your participation, you must be feeling complicated on your first recording.
The purpose of variety is to make people laugh, I feel burdened cos it’s different from my basic activities. I couldn’t sleep on the night before《Radio Star》 recording, I was very nervous when I was recording, when it’s finish I felt like “I survived it”. But I start to worry on the next day for the whole week. Then when it came to Tuesday, the day before the recording “Ah, tomorrow need to record for《Radio Star》again.”, the cycle keep repeating. Furthermore, I’m the typical A type which is very careful, so I would look at people’s responses, in the beginning if all of the responses are 10, then 9.5 of them were scolding me, the rest 0.5 doesn’t care about me. (laugh)
There’s no more《Knee-Drop Guru》,《Radio Star》’s part became longer, do you feel more burden?
This can be said as the luckiest thing among all unlucky things. Originally we record 1 time can use for 2-3 weeks, then after 1 month we record again. Now we have to record it every week, if there is any weakness I will know it cos it can be seen immediately. Even it was very hard for a short time, I also get double scolding, but because of this, I can adapt to the situation even faster.
What did you do to adapt to the environment?
I asked the members who are good at doing variety show, Leeteuk told me, “You have to dress according to the guest! If athlete is coming on the show, you have to dress as red hair Kang Baek Ho!” So I decided not to listen to his suggestion. (laugh) Then I took Eunhyuk advice  “Watch more variety shows, know the trend” , so I decided to watch《Radio Star》from the very first episode. But at first《Radio Star》was very messy also (laugh), but slowly the MC-hyungs starting to know each other strengths and weaknesses, watching them saved the show, I was assimilating. Even though I wasn’t there that time, but I would think that if it were me what would I say.
But it’s been 6 months, you have already adapted to that. When was Kim Gura not on the show?
Gura-hyung, to be honest, since he was the middle of《Radio Star》, I did think that “Ah, I am only starting now and the show is gonna end’ because there are also news that other hyungs are also quitting the《Radio Star》”. (laugh) Anyway, even 4 persons start to MC together again, it’s not easy. Because Gura-hyung is not only talk viciously, he’s also playing the of using the knowledge of the dictionary of entertainment industry to discuss deeply on the topic. Luckily the guest knew they’ll be hearing straight talking when they came to《Radio Star》, so no matter how we say, we’ll get good respond. Therefore even (the show) was kept, we still have many concerns. ‘《Radio Star》’s crisis’, ‘Unreasonable/No manner Kyuhyun’ came out, when news like these came out, “Ah, this is also unreasonable?” I was worried should I stop this next week, but when I see the positive responses from the people around me, I continue to do that.

“Playing while attacking each other is the habit of Super Junior”

Like they will use CG to label devil, you did take responsibility of doing strong men which needs ‘guns’, as MC-learner and young idol singer, there must be reason why you take Kim Gura’s roles.
First, Gukjin-hyung is always concluding style, Jongshin-hyung maybe vicious but he is also very nagging, Seyoon-hyung is the type who couldn’t talk viciously to people, while me, I did learn from watching Gura-hyung’s side. Because they want to create a cheerful image in the beginning, the producer gave me a Gura-hyung doll said that “You’ll be the listener of Gura-hyung”. Actually when I attack the guest on《Radio Star》, what I need to do is not only attacking them, but also need to ask the question that other show is afraid to ask, furthermore still need to find out the hidden part from the view of audience. Although there are some audience who feel burden, but there’re still many people like it.
Actually before take part in 《Radio Star》, you are also famous of being secretly-brightly talking viciously in Super Junior. (laugh)
Actually I do not do it often in the show; normally people will feel like that because they were observing at the back, but most of the people don’t know it. Actually I’m very naughty in the team. Usually I would also talk viciously to the members, making fun. But I wouldn’t treat them like in《Radio Star》, just appropriately, like jokes between men?
Is it similar between the environment of《Radio Star》and the noisy talking of Super Junior members?
We did play like that some time, but normally it wouldn’t be that over. (laugh)
If you would to rank straight talking, are you No.1?
Ah, no. Although it’s not known by many people, but we can’t underestimate Yesung. (laugh) Because we’ve already get used to the style of attacking each other.
Even though  Super Junior  is a team that is very good on variety, but there are still some members with the image of Handsome Ballad Singer, wouldn’t you hesitate when think of you need to talk viciously on the show with this image?
Before that I did think of why I do not appear on any shows, others members can do it very well, somemore I still have a little mysterious image. So in the beginning in《Radio Star》I was worry that can I really say this. But what the audiences want to see is not who always get trapped by the image of idol, but emcee cheerfully, so I tried my best to be honest. After I said those things, although I always think on my way back home “Ah…Should I tell them to cut that part?”, but I didn’t do it. As compared to《Radio Star》’s crisis my image is nothing. I don’t want to change the《Radio Star》with special characteristics to become a normal talk show.
But the ‘careful type A’ should be very hard to give strong men or question to the guest.
Actually those bad comments on net, can survive it, what makes me feel hard is the respond of guest to me. Because Gura-hyung was approved by the nation to be talked viciously, so no matter what he said we’ll just ‘hahaha’, but if I’m in the same situation people might say, “Ah? How dare he talk to me like this? He’s in such young age!” Most of the time I would think “Ah, is this too much” then I wouldn’t say it. Especially the guests are the one I never met before or a lot older than me. No matter what there are still some things that shouldn’t be said at my age.
Kimsuk once said “You did great effort to greet them in the waiting room”, is it because of the reasons that concerns you?
People think that the most important thing is to greet. So I decided I must greet the guest before we start recording. No matter they are sunbae (senior) or hobae (junior) I will still find them and say, “Today I will say something strong, please understand me” or “Today please laugh loudly”, then I will try to talk as much as I can when recording.

“I planned a month in advance when I want to travel alone.”

When there are 5 MCs, you did pair with Yoo Seyoon, the image has been built since then.
That time Seyoon-hyung is not doing very well. I was also not doing very well. (laugh) But somehow the two of us pair up the show could be interesting. Since then, no matter what I do, Seyoon-hyung will coordinate with me, and no matter what he do, I’ll coordinate with him, this feel like the kids who didn’t do well is in a team. Actually when I was with Gukjin-hyung, Jongshin-hyung and Gura-hyung, I couldn’t fit in, but when Seyoon-hyung comes in it forms some kind of gap, so I felt very thankful to him.
You did a completely different show with《Radio Star》,《Immortal Song》especially the stage ‘Etude of Memories’ did impressed people
I really wanted to do the show when 《Immortal Song》first invited me, but it clashed with my activities at Taiwan, so it got delayed. I wanted to do it so badly, wanted to show something, but because of the programme on first 3 weeks, I couldn’t do it, but on week 4 I change the song ‘Masquerade/Pretend Party’ to rock style, luckily I got No.1. Finally there’s a chance for me to sing ballad, but because the previous stages wasn’t so good, I’m afraid people might think, “Isn’t he the vocal of Super Junior, this is what he got?”, so on the day when I was performing ‘Etude of Memories’ I was ging there with realization.
You’ve started your career in Musical through playing D’Artagnan in ‘The Three Musketeers’ back in 2010. Did you suffer a lot in going in new field?
Same with《Radio Star》, I did get a lot of scold in the beginning. (laugh) So I watched my own performances a lot and I also talked a lot with sunbae. Even it’s bad comments, but they did make it after they watched my performance, so I did a lot hard work to improve the part where I get scold. After that if I’ve had improved some part, there are some comments in the internet like, “Eh, he watched his own performances?”, I felt shock when I see this. (laugh) But slowly the comments becoming like, “Kyuhyun is not bad” “Better than what I thought”, I felt happiness from these comments.
Frank has a lot scene in the musical ‘Catch Me If You Can’, there are 5 peoples playing this character, I’m curious, to play well as your own Frank, what have you worry/concerns about?
Sunbae Um Ki Joon really portray some images of Frank really well, it’s just like that person. But I don’t have such good acting, so since I can’t reach that level anyway, I’ll just ‘act like I was forced to lie’. Not a real cheater, but was force by the society, have to choice but to cheat.
Other than activities you did some interesting, every year you’ll travel alone. Last year even post a postscript of your Spain trip. Although you’re an Hallyu idol that travel around the world, but seems like you like to travel like the people at your age.
Although I go overseas a lot, but I rarely go for travel. I think probably only 3 times out of 100 times. Because I almost spent all of the times in hotel, so I know hotels very well, I even can rank it. (laugh) Every year I have 1 holiday, roughly about a week to 10 days, sometimes even 2 weeks? Ah, I think this never happen. (laugh) Of course I’ll have 1 to 2 days holidays in the middle of activities, but 10 days holiday is very special so I would travel alone. Japan, Italy, Spain, following this list, I like wine, so I went to Italy and Spain, countries that are famous for wine. I’m that kind of people like to plan thoroughly before travel, so 1 month before going I bought and read around 5 books and plan, “If I follow this route, how much would it cost, if I go to this restaurant I must order this”. After 1 day I’ll go back and record in a book, “Where I spent 3.5euro today, how much is the total”. I’ll drink wine and look out of the window, even it’s a little posturing, but it’s like a movie… (laugh)
Lee Sooman president is also doing wine business, do you talk to him a lot?
Sunsae-nim (this is how they address Lee Sooman) took a bottle of unopened wine and asked me, “How is this one?” (imitate Lee Sooman’s voice), after I drank it I told him, “a little dry”, sunsae-nim will then say, “Oh like this, this one the mixture of what and what, then let’s try the other one.” Then I’ll say, “This taste better” Sunsae-nim then replied, “Really? This is the cheaper one”. We did have this kind of conversation.

“Rank 4th among members in term of dancing skills”

Idol’s activities are expanding, it’s very hard to find time for leisure, but you seem like the type that living very free?
I’m not that kind of people that only work, on the other hand I work and I live. That’s why even though my schedule is very pack; I will still meet my friends if I want to. When I couldn’t show myself more for《Radio Star》I will also think of what to prepare. Sounds imitate? Making up story? Will it be very if like this? If I plan before record it’ll all mess up. (laugh) Instead if I do it on-the-spot, it’ll be funnier. So when I do thing I wouldn’t force myself to do it, I will do it cos I want to do it.
Seeing you involve in more and more field, what kind of artist you want to become?
It seems very hard to success if you only do 1 thing in this world. But before I participate in musical or variety show I didn’t have the thought of “If I did this, did this, then in the future will be like this”. Finally I got the chance to challenge in the field that I want, so I just think of taking the chance and do my best to complete it. Even when I joined Super Junior it’s also 6 months late, there are also scolding/bad comments when I joined musical and variety shows, it’s always hard in the beginning, but it’s very interesting that the respond and comments had changed after I done it.
In the end to ask by using《Radio Star》’s style, what is 2003’s Burgundy Vintage means to Kyuhyun? (Burgundy Vintage is the wines that Kyu wrote in rolling paper asking members to drink with him back in 2009 on Intimate Notes)
I haven’t drink it, although I could drink it now, but I want to wait for a longer time after I finish my things handsomely, I’ll drink it after it becomes more ‘mature’.
What is ‘Dance breaker’ for Kyuhyun?
It proves no pain, no gain. I started Super Junior’s activities back in 2006 with our first single U, at that time almost all the ballad part is chorus, so my place was always at the back. But I’m afraid that I would have the thought of doing it casually since my place is not good so I’m always working hard. But when Sorry Sorry time, the choreographer, Nick thinks that, “If teach this person properly it might work”, when 4Jib, he put me in ‘dance breaker’. This is really sweet present for me, just because I never give up. Although there is no ‘dance breaker’ for 6Jib, but my dancing skills probably rank 4th in the group now. This is recognised by everyone, at first Shindong thinks that I should be in 3rd place but switched with Donghae afterwards, anyway it was recognised.
What is《Radio Star》for Kyuhyun?
Asking this question is like when《Radio Star》is gonna end. (laugh)《Radio Star》, for the public is like it has been covered for 6 years, once it uncover it became famous, the programme that I feel thankful for. Thanks to them by putting a variety-learner like me in a group of variety-experts, my strength has becoming better, now becoming a rising star, rising star!
현아, 너는 정말 최고야..
나도 너를 매일사랑에떨어진다..
너는 점점더사랑해요..
^_____^



Credit by 10asia
Chinese translated by MyKRY - sunnybobi, chien, natali
English translated by Yannie @ Magnae_Kyu
Shared at twitter by Magnae_Kyu
Re-shared at lovelyboutcrazy.blogspot.com by Vee
TAKE OUT WITH FULL AND PROPER CREDIT

No comments:

Post a Comment